Shepparton SCI Regional Network Inaugural Meeting
The first meeting of the Shepparton SCI Regional Network was held at the Senior Citizens Hall on Wednesday 7 September. The main objective of the day was for people to come together to begin setting an agenda and format for the group.
There was great participation and active discussion about what form the group could take; sharing areas of interest, topics for discussion, future activities, as well as talking about the logistics of the meetings.
The next meeting was set as a social catch up over lunch at Peppermill Hotel, 7900 Goulburn Valley Hwy, Kialla on Wednesday 5 October at 11am.
After the initial introductions, a few staff from Spire gave an overview of what the Ballarat and Bendigo Regional Networks have been doing since their formation; providing some insight into what the group could achieve.
A few questions were given to spark discussion of what the group envisioned for their network.
Some of the thoughts and ideas generated were:
The Best thing about a SCI network group would be……
- Talk, share experiences and problem solve
- Give and receive support and advice from others
- Connecting with partners and family
- Organise and take part in activities
- Getting out and about and live life
To help the network get started we need to…..
- Openly communicate
- Utilise social media as means on contact and connection
- Set agenda’s
- Have monthly meetings
- Keep information current and updated
- Maintain a database of interested members
- Promote the network to others
To keep the network going we need to….
- Keep up and maintain enthusiasm
- Group people around likeminded interests
- Organise meetings around topics of interest
- Communicate regularly and openly
I would regularly attend a group that…..
- Has a social aspect -
- Social media/electronic information
- Getting out and about to movies, sporting events, pubs, cafes, BBQ’s
- Share information -
- Staying in contact with people regularly
- Have connection with local councils
- Looked at special needs – accessibility
- Listen to speakers and presentations about available services
It is clear that the participants have many different interests and ideas around the ways in which the group can be best set-up and run! Overall, there was great enthusiasm to keep meeting socially on a monthly basis. As people get to know each other better, the group will look to discuss the more detailed and specific direction the network can take.
Details of our next event
Wednesday, 05 Oct 2016
Peppermill Inn Hotel
7900 Goulburn Valley Hwy, Kialla. 3631
This meeting will be another informal chat, followed by lunch at your own expense.
Wednesday September 28th [email protected]u or call Jayne Close 03 9489 0777