Geelong SCI Regional Network - Launch
On August 17, Spire welcomed another regional community, with the launch meeting of the Geelong SCI Regional Network taking place at the Grovedale Community Hub in Geelong. The attendance was robust, with almost 20 participants coming in from in and around Geelong.
The meeting was facilitated jointly by members of Spire and The Royal Talbot Rehabilitation Centre. Stories were shared, ideas exchanged, and the way forward was decided.
The brainstorming session for themes for future meetings focussed on reasons the group would meet and some of the activities they would potentially undertake in the future. The group reached the consensus that an SCI Network would be beneficial for the Geelong community as it would present opportunities for:
- Socialising - Meeting new, like-minded people in and around the area.
- Opportunities for leisure, sport, Move n Groove.
- Opportunities for advice related to health, nutrition and exercise.
- Sharing experiences and knowledge around accessibility, equipment, travel and accommodation, family support, local knowledge, advocacy around topics that members are passionate about etc.
- Peer support and assistance strategies for newly injured individuals.
- Understanding and navigating through the NDIS/TAC journey.
- Upskilling, networking opportunities, guest speakers etc.
All present agreed that in order for the group to take off and continue, the channels of communication need to be easy, the meeting places and times need to be convenient and accessible for all, and the agenda for future meetings should be dictated and co-ordinated by the group.
We hope in time the network will grow, and help the Geelong SCI community create a valuable resource network for its members. All are welcome!
Details of our next event
Thursday, 21 Sep 2017
35 Heyers Rd, Grovedale VIC 3216
- Member of Ballarat group to attend
- What topics/priorities
Jayne Close at [email protected]