Revisiting goals, and trying out teleconferencing
At its second meeting for the year, in June, the Professionals with SCI Network experimented for the first time with telephone conferencing.
Ten people attended the meeting, several of whom were new to the group. Six met at the Lonely Planet office in Carlton, while a further four joined the meeting by phone.
There was a wealth of knowledge and experience available from members, who encompassed students, working professionals and retirees. Occupations ranged from accountant to researcher.
Everyone was keen to give back to the community by sharing experiences and learning from others.
It was agreed that SCIP aims to:
- Share lived experiences to make workplaces more inclusive;
- Offer informal and formal peer support through group meetings, one-on-one meetings, and WOT days;
- Continue to expand membership.
We also discussed member interest in a range of activities. Among them:
- Hear guest speakers from organisations such as federal and state Human Rights Commissions, law firm Maurice Blackburn, the NDIS and the TAC;
- Discuss practical transitions to work, study, or retirement;
- Discuss how to find paid work or start a business;
- Learn to manage one’s day in a way that makes the most of energy levels;
- Find ways to create awareness of the importance of inclusive workplaces;
- Investigate the use of assistive technology at work and at home;
- Emphasise the importance of hobbies and social connections.
The experiment with phone conferencing was not a resounding success: remote attendees found it hard to follow the conversation. However, phone or video conferences will become an exciting feature of SCIP meetings, enabling people from all over Victoria to attend.
Prior to the meeting, key members had reflected on the network’s achievements and plans. To raise awareness of the network, a flyer was developed to promote to local communities.
Also discussed were ways to make the network more inclusive and accessible, to people with and without a spinal cord injury.
Details of our next event
Thursday, 29 Aug 2019
AQA Spire Office
416 Heidelberg Rd, Fairfield VIC 3078
Limited parking at rear, or on street parking at Station St
TAC and returning to work
Spire at 9489 0777 (toll free 1800 999 128) or [email protected]