Getting the lowdown on access
In June, Shepparton Regional Network members met our Rural Access Officer, Andrew Thomson, after gathering for lunch at the newly renovated American Hotel Echuca.
The group was smaller than usual, due to several members feeling unwell on the day. That didn’t stop us from enjoying lunch and warming ourselves by the fireplace.
Andrew, who is Rural Access Officer for the Shire of Campaspe, told us of the process the shire goes through to develop projects.
Members asked him many good questions, which he answered as well as he could – acknowledging that were only so many things the shire could do.
We learned that:
- The Shire has a new disability inclusion plan that will be released soon for community comment;
- A range of plans open for community comment can be viewed at this link: https://www.campaspe.vic.gov.au/council/have-your-say/open-for-comment/
- The shire acknowledges it can be difficult to ensure that everyone interested is aware of a new plan. There are many ways in which you can keep up to date with shire news, such as the website, the local newspaper, the shire’s monthly newsletter, community forums and social media;
- The shire will do what it can to ensure that things are up to standard, but their authority stops at a certain point.
- There are two ways you can provide feedback on a document open for public submission: general feedback, and specific feedback formally presented to council. Both are outlined at this link: https://www.campaspe.vic.gov.au/council/have-your-say/submissions-and-feedback/
- You can also write a complaint. A design engineer will check out the issues complained of and reply with a written response. If you are not satisfied, you can then can go to the Human Rights Commission or your local Member of Parliament.
Andrew encouraged network members to be the Council’s eyes and ears in the community to help maintain services. The shire’s service request system is outlined at this link: https://www.campaspe.vic.gov.au/council/have-your-say/customer-service-requests/
The meeting gave us insight into how projects are planned and implemented in the Shire of Campaspe. Though change can be slow, it is possible through community engagement.
Details of our next event
Wednesday, 03 Jul 2019
American Hotel Echuca
239-249 Hare St, Echuca VIC 3564
Available on surrounding streets
Lunch and reflecting on last month and on ways to be involved with your local Council
Spire at 9489 0777 (toll free 1800 999 128) or [email protected]